Monday, June 7, 2010

Warning: This Post is not Politically Correct & Contains Religious Refernces

The article on the front page of The Arizona Republic yesterday was entitled "Iron will drives Pearce, agenda". The opening paragraphs read:
Nothing stops Russell Pearce.
Not a heart attack. Not a stroke. Not a bullet in the chest.
And most certainly not the criticism from opponents who have long accused him of putting politics ahead of facts, pushing too hard and cooperating too little.
After reading this, I turned to my husband and said, "I know what can stop Russell Pearce - the vote."

In this day of societal hysteria, cultural melt-down, and media-hyped fear, I'm concerned that we've lost track of the enemy within. We are so busy being worried and afraid of the Muslims, and the drug cartel, and the illegal immigrants that we've taken our eye off of the cults that operate within our own society.

I am a Bible-believing, Trinity worshipping, Born-again Christian who believes in the salvation of Jesus Christ. This does not mean that I am intolerant of Jews, Hindus, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists, or any other "religious" group. It does mean, however, that I do not trust a belief system that takes the message of Jesus Christ and tweaks it with a lot of hocus-pocus, supernatural mumbo-jumbo and then tries to sell it as a mainstream Protestant denomination.

In my opinion, there has been a slow, but steady infiltration of the largest cult in the United States into our politics, our boardrooms, our media, and the entertainment industry. I have several Christian friends who believe whole-heartedly that a certain political figure from this cult is the answer to our country's needs. I have other friends who believe that a certain media personality belonging to this cult holds the answer to our understanding of our country's past and future.

When I point out to them that these people are cultist's, I get the most ridiculous defenses as to why it doesn't matter. Doesn't anybody remember Jim Jones?

I guess the line I'm walking is very thin. On the one hand, I don't believe that a person's religious beliefs should necessarily keep me from voting for them. On the other hand, I personally feel that supporting a person who is a part of a cult is something I don't feel comfortable with nor want to be held accountable for.

Re-reading what I've written makes me look like I'm some sort of a religious zealot, a right-wing nut who's afraid of anything that's not a part of my own narrow belief system, a conspiracy theorist. If that's what you think after reading this, chalk it up to my poor writing skills, to my inability to adequately express what's in my heart, not to who I am.

1 Comments:

At June 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

I had to research Pearce, I assumed he was a Mormon but wanted to be sure.

Yes it is a cult and if anyone has questions about it read the bible or contact Concerned Christians in Mesa.

It's ok to use the "M" word Vicki. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home