It's Election Day!
Today is election day in several states. The two races I'm following with the most interest are the Spector/Sestak race in Pennsylvania, and Blanche Lincoln's race in Arkansas. I will be glued to the TV all day even though I know the results won't be in until later tonight. I love the commentary!
I can't imagine Arlen Spector winning this race, although stranger things have happened. Switching from Democrat to Republican to Democrat will hurt him some, but I'm thinking his age is the biggest obstacle to a win. In some of his most recent speeches, he's sounded a little confused and hesitant.
Of course the big issue here in Arizona is the 1 cent sales tax. I voted on this weeks ago through my mail-in ballot. I voted "yes". Purely for selfish reasons. My daughter, Jessica, is being offered a job at ASU. If the tax passes, her salary is higher than if it fails.
The reality is that we vote for issues based on our current life experience. When my kids were younger and in school, I would have voted "yes" on this tax without hesitation. Now that I don't have any kids in school, I probably would have voted "no" (if not for Jessica's opportunity). When I have grandkids in school, I will probably be voting "yes" again.
I was amazed on Sunday to see a news story on the sales tax issue. The story said that the proponents have raised around three million dollars and have spent almost all of it. The opponents have raised $1200 and spent $375. Wow, that's a huge disparity. Until I heard that story I didn't think this tax had a chance of passing. Now, I'm not sure that it won't pass.
The outcome of some of today's elections will give us another piece of the puzzle as we try to figure out what's going to happen in November... and I can't wait to see what those results are!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home