Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Tsunami of Silliness

Oh my gosh, can you believe the amount of silliness over the Arizona Immigration Law? It has reached tsunami proportions.

As you know, I am not in favor of this bill, but I don't think that my opposition to it has reached the level of insanity that I've heard on the national media today.

Some lawmaker in California wants the entire state of California to boycott all businesses in Arizona. A lawmaker in Texas is proposing a law that is stricter than the law in Arizona. Mexico has issued travel warnings for their citizens thinking of coming to this state. And the threat of boycotts is endless.

I've never taken part in a boycott. I have many friends and family members that have. One boycotts Wal-mart because she didn't want one built in her community but it got built despite her objections. One friend boycotts P & G because their logo is Satanic. Another friend boycotts Pampered Chef. My own husband boycotts AARP. He doesn't like their politics.

I do not participate in boycotts because in my opinion they are not effective. Can you name one company or policy that has been impacted by a boycott? The only one I can think of is the boycott of "New Coke" which led to the reinstatement of "Classic Coke".

The reality is that Arizona will take a financial hit from this law, but it won't come primarily from boycotts. It will come from lawsuits. As one of my favorite commentators said on FNC yesterday, "the lawsuits will bankrupt the state of Arizona". I agree with that assessment. The state is already broke.

I guess, though, that the 70% of Arizonans that back this law have come to the conclusion that it's worth spending their tax dollars for lawsuits in exchange for the feeling of security the law provides them. My question is this: is that feeling of security based on reality or on the passage of a feel good, do nothing law? After all, Federal Law trumps State Law, and I can't see that the Feds are ready to tackle the issue of border security any time soon.

1 Comments:

At April 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

you might want to think about moving to Nebraska. :) Everyone knows that our gov't officials (Ben Nelson) don't make stupid decisions. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home