What's Going On?
I tell you, some days I think the whole country has collectively lost its mind.
The latest salvo in the Arizona Immigration Law battle is that the Los Angeles City Council has voted to boycott Arizona. Say what?!
There are many laws passed in this country that I disagree with. However, I can't imagine one part of the country choosing to impose sanctions against another part of the country over a law. Oh yeah, wait a minute this has happened before... I think it was called the Civil War.
OK, that's a slight misrepresentation of how the Civil War started, but really, where are we headed in this thing?
I understand that the Arizona Law mimics the Federal Law. What I don't understand is why other people, especially elected officials across the country don't know that. How far are they going to carry this boycott idea? When wildfires start burning here in AZ in a few weeks, will other states or cities refuse to send their firefighters? When the hills above LA are burning will AZ deny them the use of our hotshot team in retaliation?
The reality is that the Feds need to take care of the illegal immigration issue. They need to put troops at the borders and enforce the current immigration law, or they need to pass immigration reform. I do not believe in isolationism. In my opinion, America should continue to be an attainable dream for peoples the world over. All of us, unless we are of Native American descent, are here because our forefathers determined to come here generations ago. Immigration reform is more than a hot button issue, it's an issue that needs to be resolved before things get totally out of hand. In other words, it needs to be resolved yesterday.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home