Tucson Memorial Service
Yesterday as I was waiting for the hour of the Tucson Memorial Service, my only
I know, I know, there’s almost always scripture readings at memorial services. But most memorial services do not reach an audience of millions. This one did. And for me, that is the embodiment of the freedoms we enjoy in America.
It is also an example of how a terrible, senseless, incredible event can be turned for the glory of God. In the midst of the sorrow for those killed, the concern for those injured, the empathy for all of the lives affected by this crime, the Word of God was proclaimed for the world to hear.
Without judging the depth of the speaker’s belief, I was imagining the people around the world hearing the words of the book of Isaiah, the book of Job, and the book of 2 Corinthians. I’m sure there will be some criticism today, especially from those who were urging the President to “not let a crisis go to waste”. But in my opinion, that criticism is without merit.
The reality is that last night was about the victims, the families, the community of Tucson, the community of America. It was about coming together to mourn the loss of six lives. It was about celebrating the lives of the survivors. It was about not letting the act of one lone gunman steal our hope.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home