Sunday, March 20, 2011

WAR

I have read many comments the past few days about the U.S. entering another war. Being embroiled in three wars at one time. Why are we starting another war?

I know that Qaddafi would like for us to believe that we have declared war on him, but I just don't think that's true. It is true that we have entered into a military action with a coalition of other countries. It is true that weapons are being discharged and people are dying. It is true that the U.S. military is once again coming to the aid of a beleaguered people. I just don't think it's a war. I think it's another battle in the larger war on terrorism.

It's hard for me to know if this decision is right. Do I think Qaddafi needs to be taken out. Yes, I do. Do I think the people of Libya should have the ability to decide what type of government they want and who should be in position of authority? Yes, I do. Do I think that it's the responsibility of the U.S. or other countries to provide the Libyan people with the environment that will birth a new government? Ummm, I'm not so sure about that one. Do I think the U.S. and other countries should only go to bat for peoples who desire the type of government that we think they should desire. No, I don't.

When the people of an oppressed society finally decide that they've had it, finally decide that change must come, finally decide to "throw the bums out", I think that, if at all possible, the overthrow needs to be of their own making. That's not to say that I don't think the U.S. or other countries shouldn't help them at all. But I definitely don't think it's up to us to bring about regime change in every situation. The reality is, if we stepped in every time to take out governments of other countries, then that means we would be responsible for the entire world. We're not. We shouldn't be. The reality is, if we're the primary force that gets rid of Qaddafi and the next guy in there is worse than he was, whose fault will that be? Uh yeah, it'll be our fault. Who will the Libyan people blame? They'll blame us.

Situations like these are delicate. When oil is involved, they're even more delicate. It's hard to gauge when stepping in would be best for "American interests" and when it's just plain meddling. I tend to come down on the side of yes, we need to do something to keep Qaddafi from slaughtering his own people. But, I don't feel that we should enter into a years long conflict in this situation.

War. Who's next ...Mexico ...Iran ...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home